Thursday, September 22, 2011

Portobello Mushroom Burgers

I was at the grocery store today, it was a spur of the moment stop while I was out.  I went into the store because I wanted to see what I could make for dinner.

So I picked up some things and got a few ideas while I was in there.  I picked up portobello mushrooms right away and went from there.  I knew that I wanted to grill the mushrooms and make burgers.  Now what will I marinate these with?  As I walked around the store I picked up a few more items and continued to think about what I was going to do.  I picked up a bottle of a apricot pineapple teriyaki sauce.  I looked at the ingredients and decided I would pass on that.  Not only was it high in sodium it had other ingredients in it that were not healthy.  So I decided that I would make my own version of that sauce.

Here is what I did:

In a food processor (I would have used a blender but mine is a piece of junk - currently shopping for a new one and will probably get a Vitamix) I combined organic canned chucked pineapple in its own juice some apricot jam (natural jam no HFCS or other junk) some pineapple juice from the can and some teriyaki sauce.  I blended them together and added a little more of each until I got the consistency and taste that I was looking for.

I put the marinade and the mushroom caps in a bag and placed it in the refrigerator.

The mushrooms were then grilled.  They were put cap side down.  When we did this the marinade stayed in the cup part of the mushroom and cooked there and then it was flipped over.  The mushrooms were grilled until they had a nice color to them.

The rolls were placed on the grill cut side down to warm them.

To the rolls I added: mushroom, goat cheese, fresh basil, clover sprouts, heirloom tomato slice and a leaf of lettuce.  I took a little of the leftover marinade and speared some on the top inside of the bun.

Also made some garlic rosemary oven potato fries.  I actually had a bag in the freezer.

Served this all up with some Pinot Noir from Oregon.












No comments:

Post a Comment