Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sourdough Bread

On a weekly basis I have to refresh my sourdough starter.  So this morning I refreshed the sourdough.  All I have to do is add 1-1/2 cups flour and 1-1/4 cups of warm water to the sourdough that I saved from last week.  Let it sit until it bubbles. It bubbled up nicely and from that mixture I then hold back 1/2 cup of the sourdough for next week.  By saving the sourdough from week to week it becomes more sour, which is what you want from a sourdough bread.  I plan on making a loaf of sourdough for tomorrow.

My plan as I am thinking about it right now is to experiment with the sourdough tomorrow.  Instead of placing the bread in a traditional loaf pan I think I am going to place it on a hot stone and place a pan of hot water in the oven when it bakes.  By adding the water it will make the outside of the bread crusty while keeping the inside nice and soft.  I am also thinking about adding some sliced green olives to the loaf while I am kneading it.  I think I will make that decision tomorrow.

When I have the bread done and baked tomorrow, I will post a picture and let you know how it turned out.

If anyone in my area would like some sourdough starter, just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment