Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kombucha


Currently in the kitchen I have kombucha brewing.  I started this batch on May 25th.  There have been a lot of questions about kombucha, so I will tell you what I know and where it originated.  

The name is derived from that of a Korean physician, Kombu, who was called to treat the Japanese Emperor Inkyo back around the year 415 AD.  Kombucha is known from Germany, Manchuria, Brazil, Russia, Japan, Poland, China, Bulgaria, Indonesia and probably other countries.  Called by any of its names, kombucha, teeschwamm, wunderpilz, hongo, and cajnif.  The Kombucha mushroom (a symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria) turns organic black tea and white sugar into a healthy drink.  Kombucha is a delicious beverage that has a clean, slightly acid taste, comparable to a light wine or apple cider with virtually no alcohol. 

I should be bottling this beverage within the next week.  Usually kombucha takes about 8-10 days, mine usually takes a little longer since my kitchen is cooler than most.  Each time I brew a batch of kombucha I use a little bit of the tea from the previous batch, the mushroom (what is floating on the top) and a new batch of brewed organic black tea.  Also, you will notice that I have a towel partially covering the jar.  I do this so that nothing can get into the tea like dust or insects.  It also helps to keep the sunlight out.

Health benefits of kombucha that I have found for myself, increased energy and aids digestion.  It is also said that kombucha can help with joint recovery, sharpens eyesight, improves skin elasticity and is a detoxifier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment