Monday, April 29, 2013

Walnut Crusted Salmon with Warm Arugula Salad

I could not wait to get back into my kitchen to cook.  I was at a woman's club state convention this past weekend which is why I was away from my kitchen.  The food at the hotel was good but I couldn't wait to cook and have what I call "real food".

I desperately wanted fish and so we chose salmon for tonight's dinner.

Walnut Crusted Salmon
1/2 cup raw unsalted walnuts
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Place walnuts into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Place walnuts onto a dish (you will need this to press the salmon onto the walnuts).  Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit.  Spray a baking sheet with a little but of olive oil.  Mix together honey, mustard, salt and pepper.  Mix until incorporated and smooth.  Brush top and sides of salmon with mixture (using all of it), place salmon upside down onto the chopped walnuts, pressing to place walnuts onto top of salmon.  Place salmon onto cookie sheet and bake.  Bake for about 10 minutes.  You can turn the broiler on for a short time to help brown the top of the salmon.

I think the next time I make this, for something different, I will add some fresh chopped parsley to the walnuts to add color and some flavor.  I also may change the nuts to pecans.

Warm Arugula Salad
This makes just enough for 2 people.
3 ounces of fresh arugula
3 strips of bacon, cut into small bite sized pieces
1 shallot, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons pine nuts
Place bacon into a skillet and cook over medium heat until just brown and crispy.  Add shallot and olive oil.  Cook until shallots are soft.  Add arugula, tossing to incorporate ingredients. Continue to cook until arugula is just wilted.  Add pine nuts and toss.  Serve warm.

Also served the meal with a rice medley.

I apologize for the horrible picture.  I could only get my hands on the one camera (which I don't like), since I wanted to quick sit down and eat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment