Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fresh Tomato Sauce

We have an abundance of tomatoes coming from our garden and of course we need to do something with them.  I chose to make a tomato sauce to be used later.  I put the cooked sauce in mason jars which  I then placed in the freezer.

This recipe came from my Vitamix blender.  I feel that you can certainly make this recipe using a regular blender or a immersion blender (when using a regular blender, cut vegetables into much smaller pieces).

6 roma tomatoes, quartered
1 small onion, peeled, halved
1 small carrot, halved
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients into the blender and blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth.  Place sauce in a saucepan and simmer for 35-40 minutes.

I figure that I can use this sauce for future recipes.  Pop it out of the freezer and it will be just like the day I made it.


No comments:

Post a Comment