Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Ultimate Comfort Food

Do you ever have that moment where you really want something but you just don't know what it is?  That was actually me last night.  My husband actually made dinner for me last night, which was so wonderful, but I really wanted macaroni and cheese but stayed out of the kitchen so that he could work his magic.  So tonight I decided that I really wanted mac and cheese so that is what I made along with other comfort food.

Meatloaf
1 pound grass fed ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup A.1. Steak sauce
1 egg
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I used a fresh spring onion that I picked up at the Farmers Market)
In a large bowl combine beef, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of steak sauce, egg, pepper and onion.  Shape into a loaf and place in a loaf pan.  (using only 1 pound of meat will not fill an entire loaf pan).  Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes.  Brush remaining steak sauce onto top and bake for 10 minutes more.

Here is the recipe for the macaroni and cheese sauce which is the recipe that comes with a Vitamix blender.  You can do this same recipe on the stove in a double boiler (just heat the first ingredients and then add the cheese until it melts). 

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
2 cups of cooked elbow macaroni
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups milk
1 cup cubed american cheese or other mild yellow cheese (I used a raw milk sharp cheddar and a colby style cheese)

Bread crumbs
Mix sauce with cooked macaroni in a 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with a non stick cooking spray.   Add a bread crumb topping and bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven.


To go along with this meal we had some frozen chopped spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment