Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grilled Brined Pork Loin

A friend gave me this recipe.  I saw it and it sounded fantastic, so I made it and will make it again. When I made this I left the meat in the brine for about 8 hours, the next time I make it I plan on leaving it overnight.

4 cups water
½ cup sugar
½ cup coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
4 cups ice
1 bay leaf
1 small bunch thyme
½ orange zest, removed in strips and fruit reserved for garnish
12 whole peppercorns, plus fresh ground pepper (not sure why just 12, I used a few more)
1 boneless pork loin (2 pounds) - (mine was actually smaller and worked just fine - just had to adjust the cooking time)
coarse ground mustard for serving

Bring water, sugar, and salt to a simmer in a large pot, stirring to dissolve.  Remove from heat.  Add ice, bay leaf, thyme, orange zest, and peppercorns, and let cool completely.  Place pork in a non-reactive dish, and completely cover with brine.  Refrigerate at least 6 hours and up to 8 hours.  Remove pork from brine, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.  Pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.

Heat grill to medium.  Grill pork, covered with vent open, turning every 6 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 125 degrees Fahrenheit, about 32 minutes.  (Pork will continue to cook to proper doneness as it rests).  Transfer pork to a cutting board, and let rest 15 minutes.  Slice pork, and squeeze orange over slices.  Serve with mustard.  

Along with the pork loin.  I cooked whole sweet potatoes and was served with a fresh straight out of the garden salad. 

I first cooked the sweet potatoes in the microwave and then wrapped them in foil to finish on the grill.  


No comments:

Post a Comment