Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Honey Glazed Chicken with Rice

I dug for a chicken recipe out of my many cookbooks for tonight's dinner.  I knew I wanted something quick, easy and something that can be baked in an oven.

I pulled this recipe from The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook.  Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup flour **
1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt **
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 3-5 pound pastured chicken, cut up **
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use wheat free, reduced sodium tamari)
1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder

Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit
Combine flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  Rinse the chicken, pat dry with paper towels, and then dip the chicken into the flour mixture, turning until they are thoroughly coated.  Place on a rack, and set aside.
Pour the melted butter into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.  Add the chicken pieces, turning until they are coated with the butter.  Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. **
Mix together the brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, soy sauce, and curry powder.  Pour over chicken, and bake for 45 minutes longer **, basting occasionally with the pan drippings.

**  Here are my notes for this recipe.  I used boneless pastured chicken breasts instead of the whole cut up chicken.  Because I was using just chicken breasts I didn't need as much flour and knew that I didn't need nearly that much salt.  So adjust the salt and flour to suit your tastes.  In regard to baking the chicken I did the first bake for 20 minutes and then for 25 minutes after the sauce was poured on.   The flavor of the sauce is wonderful and I could almost spoon out what was left and eat it by itself.  I think the next time I make this recipe I am going to add pineapple slices to the bottom of the pan.  I believe that the flavors in the sauce will compliment the pineapple.

I served the chicken with a side of basmati rice.  For 2-3 servings you need
1/2 cup rice, 3/4 cup water and 1-1/2 teaspoons of butter.  Combine rice, water and butter in a pot with tight fitting lid.  Bring to a boil.  Stir once.  Cover with lid.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat, let stand in covered pot for 10 minutes.  Fluff with fork and serve.




 I also served this with a salad which was our main vegetable for the meal.  The salad was greens, tomato, green peppers, carrots and dried cranberries.  It was served with a balsamic vinegar, olive oil dressing.








No comments:

Post a Comment