Thursday, December 1, 2011

Beef Roast

I have been hungry for a beef roast for a while and finally decided to get one out of the freezer.    I just put some things together to cook the roast.

Here is what I did:

1 - 3 pound grassfed rump beef roast which I seared in a dutch oven on top of the stove.  I then added a cut up red onion, some carrots (cut into chunks), a couple of garlic cloves (they were small), 2 bay leafs, a couple of springs of fresh thyme, a handful of fresh parsley.  I added about 1/2 cup of tomato paste (I had some that was in the freezer that I thawed), 2 cups of beef broth and 1 bottle of red wine (I used a Cabernet Franc from King Family Vineyards).  I poured the wine over everything and brought the mixture to a boil.  I placed the dutch oven with the lid on it into a 350 degree Fahrenheit pre-heated oven.  Cook for about 1-1/2 hours until the internal temperature reached 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

I chose potatoes to go with the roast.  I peeled the potatoes, cut them into chunks, put them into a pan of water and cooked until tender.  Drained and added them to a bowl with a little butter and some chopped fresh parsley.

To go along with the rest of this meal is cooked spinach and a side salad (greens, tomatoes).




This post is linked on The Healthy Home Economist Monday Mania.

No comments:

Post a Comment