Monday, December 5, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough Bran Muffins

I have a sourdough starter that I have to refresh each week.  Sometimes I make something with it, sometimes I don't (sometimes I just don't have the time).  Today after refreshing the sourdough I knew that I had enough time to make something.  I chose sourdough bran muffins.

Here is what I did:

I refreshed the sourdough yesterday late afternoon and left it overnight.  This morning I pulled the starter and placed in the refrigerator and made this:   Combine 1/2 cup fresh starter with 1-1/4 cups warm water and 1-1/2 cups flour.  Set in a warm place until bubbly, (several hours). To this sourdough batter, combine:
1 cup of oat bran
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon pure vanilla (This is not a part of the normal recipe, but added for some extra flavor)
Combine these next 3 ingredients together dry in a separate bowl.
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
Add dry ingredients to the sourdough and stir.
Stir in:
1 cup of golden raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Drop into muffin tins (I used unbleached large baking cups in my 12 cup muffin tin).

I sprinkled the top of each muffin with a little cinnamon sugar mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes or until they spring to the touch.





No comments:

Post a Comment