Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Rice Noodles with Chicken and Mushrooms

I had some chicken breasts that I wanted to cook for tonight's dinner.  Sometimes I do not have a plan for the rest of dinner until the last minute and then I throw something together.   Tonight was one of those nights.  I had a box of rice noodles in the pantry so I decided this was where I wanted to go with dinner.  On the box was a recipe.  I used the recipe but varied it slightly based on what I had available.  I think however that the next time I make this I will add some vegetables.  I think vegetables would add color as well as some great taste.

Here is what I did:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 of a large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
12 ounces of chicken breast, cut up into bite size pieces (If you have more chicken than this the recipe can handle it)
1 bag of frozen mushrooms, thawed and drained (I keep a bag of mushrooms in the freezer so that I can have mushrooms anytime - the kind I use has a variety of mushrooms in the bag)
1 - 8 ounce package of rice noodles (soak noodles in hot water for 10 minutes while you are cooking everything else)

For the Sauce:
3 tablespoons fish sauce
4 tablespoons chicken broth
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon tamari

Heat oil in a wok or heavy skillet over medium high heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook until golden.  Add chicken and stir fry until chicken is cooked, then add mushrooms.  Remove from heat and stir fry for another 1 to 2 minutes.  Combine ingredients for sauce.  Add sauce, noodles to cooked chicken and mix well.  Garnish with cilantro (I only had dried cilantro so I used it) and lime wedges.




No comments:

Post a Comment