Friday, March 15, 2013

Corned Beef Part 2

Here is the second part of the Corned Beef.  Like I said in my previous post, I have never made a corned beef from scratch before.  Here is the link to my previous post for Corned Beef Part 1.

This isn't as traditional dinner as I had wanted due to a death in the family.  I actually had to bring the brisket with me out of town and cook it.  However, I am pleasantly surprised as to the taste of the brisket (corned beef).

Corned Beef with Cabbage 
2 pound beef brisket (that has been in the brine)
2 carrots, cut into chunks
1 onion, cut into a wedge
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Sprig of thyme and a small bunch of parsley tied together
1 cabbage, chopped
Salt and pepper
Put the brisket into a saucepan, with carrots, onions, mustard and herbs.  Cover with cold water, and bring gently to a boil.  Simmer covered for about 3 hours.

Cabbage
Since the pan I was using didn't have enough room for the cabbage I put the cabbage into a separate pan.
Place cabbage into a pan.  Add a little bit of the onion and the carrot to the pan.  Add cold water to cover the cabbage and bring to a boil.  Bring to a simmer and let simmer for about the same amount of time as the brisket.

I didn't serve mashed potatoes like I wanted to do (too much going on), however next year I am going to do this again and serve mashed potatoes, Irish Soda bread and maybe a good Irish beer.




No comments:

Post a Comment