Thursday, March 21, 2013

Baked Italian Chicken with Asparagus and Quinoa

As I cooked tonight's meal I wondered what in the world I was going to call this dish.  I made it up on the fly so I figured Italian sounded good, I mean after all those are some of the herbs I used.  Of course I could have gone the other way toward Mediterranean based on the marinated artichoke hearts.  So really it is entirely up to you what you would like to call this dish.  Either way I hope that you will enjoy this recipe.

Baked Italian Chicken
2 chicken breasts
1 can, unsalted diced tomatoes
1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained only slightly
Small amount of garlic powder
Italian seasoning (I used a brushetta mix that I have that has dried tomato, basil, bell pepper and pepper)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Rub a little olive oil into the bottom of a glass baking dish (just so that the chicken won't stick).  Add chicken.  Add entire can of tomatoes over top of the chicken, add artichoke hearts.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.  Place dish into oven and cook for about 45 minutes.  These chicken breasts were rather thick.  Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. 

This dish was served with asparagus and leftover Quinoa from last night's dinner. 

To cook the asparagus.  Place a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil.  Once it begins to boil add asparagus (that has been washed and snapped - don't forget to save the snapped end (place in freezer) to make vegetable broth with later) and cook for 5 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment