Sunday, August 26, 2012

Standing Rib Roast with Horseradish Crust

Last Saturday we traveled to our local farm Mountain Run Farm to get some meats to fill our freezer.  When getting the items we wanted I found this magnificent looking rib roast.  We were having company this weekend and my thought went immediately to hum I think I could make this for our guests.  This is the meal I made last night.

I searched for recipes to make.  There are several out there but I came across this one done by Tyler Florence and it a Food Network recipe.

This is the recipe as written, I will leave my notes on the side of what I did)
Standing Rib Roast with Horseradish Crust
1 - (3-rib) prime rib beef roast, about 6 pounds.  (My roast was a 4 rib and was over 7 pounds)
5 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
Needles from 2 fresh rosemary sprigs (I used 3 large sprigs)
Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs
1/2 cup sea salt
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (I used 3 large carrots)
2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks (I used 3 parsnips)
1 red onion, halved (I used 3 small ones)
1 head garlic, halved
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Lay the beef in a large roasting pan with the bone side down.  (The ribs act as a natural roasting rack).
In a small bowl mash together the garlic, horseradish, thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil to make a paste. Massage the paste generously over the entire roast.  Scatter the vegetables around the meat and drizzle with a 2-count of oil.  Put the pan in the oven and roast the beef for about 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours for medium-rare (or approximately 20 minutes per pound).  Check the internal temperature of the roast several place with an instant read thermometer; it should register 125 degrees Fahrenheit for medium rare.  Remove the beef to a carving board and let rest for 20 minutes.  The internal temperature of the meat will continue to rise by about 10 degrees.  Remove the the vegetable and set aside.
(I used a probe thermometer to help me keep track of how the roast was doing as it was cooking, I didn't want to continue to open the oven door.  Once the roast was close to the temperature, I used the instant read thermometer).  I served the vegetables with the meal, they vegetables had a nice caramelized quality.
Another Note: This is a great recipe to place into the oven and have fun with your guests.  I then got our guests involved in the rest of the cooking process which was a lot of fun for everyone.

Mashed Japanese Sweet Potatoes
2-1/2 pounds of Japanese sweet potatoes
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup coconut milk mixed with 1/4 cup water or 1/2 cup half and half (I went with the coconut milk)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan.  Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into large cubes and drop them into boiling water.  Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain and return to the pan.
Shake the potatoes in the pan over medium heat until the excess moisture evaporates.  Reduce heat to low and add the butter to the potatoes; mash light with a potato masher.  Gradually add the coconut milk, mashing lightly between additions, until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
This is the same recipe I made the other night but I decided to leave the vanilla out of the recipe and just opt for salt and pepper.

Steamed Green Beans
We still have some green beans coming out of our garden so I made some steamed green beans to go along with this meal. 
Place green beans into a steamer and cover.  Place steamer over a pan with about 1 inch of water.  Place on stove and bring to a boil.   Cook until beans are tender.  Remove from heat, place beans into a bowl, add a little bit of butter and some sea salt.  Serve


No comments:

Post a Comment