Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Citrus Glazed Black Cod with Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Steamed Green Beans

I went searching the Internet for dinner recipes and ideas.  I found two recipes for tonight's dinner on the Internet, not the ton of cookbooks I have on my shelf (which I really need to use more often).  The first recipe for the Black Cod came from Martha Stewart and the second for the mashed sweet potatoes came from a fellow blogger, blog name Jan's Sushi bar.  I knew that I wanted to bake the cod and was looking for ideas when I came across the recipe.  The other, you know how we love Japanese sweet potatoes, so I looked for mashed recipes and saw this and thought this is perfect.

Citrus Glazed Black Cod
4 - 6 ounce black cod filets
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (I used the juice from the whole lime)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use Tamari)
Thinly sliced mint leaves, for garnish
Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish (I didn't actually have any fresh scallions so I chose to use some dried chives)
Coarse Salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray baking dish with cooking spray.  Season fish with salt and pepper and place in prepared dish.  Meanwhile, add brown sugar, lime juice, vinegar, soy sauce, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Simmer until thick and syrupy, 4 to 5 minutes.  Spoon about 1 teaspoon of glaze evenly over each cod filet; reserve any remaining glaze.  Transfer baking dish to oven and bake until opaque and just cooked through, about 12 minutes.  Garnish with mint and scallions; serve with reserved glaze.
***I only used 2 pieces of fish but made the entire amount of glaze.

Vanilla Mashed Sweet Potatoes
2-1/2 pounds of Japanese sweet potatoes
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup coconut milk mixed with 1/4 cup water or 1/2 cup half and half (I went with the coconut milk)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan.  Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into large cubes and drop them into boiling water.  Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain and return to the pan.
Shake the potatoes in the pan over medium heat until the excess moisture evaporates.  Reduce heat to low and add the butter and vanilla to the potatoes; mash light with a potato masher.  Gradually add the coconut milk, mashing lightly between additions, until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
***Since I was only cooking for 2 I cut this recipe in half.

Steamed Green Beans
We are still getting green beans out of our garden and so there is nothing better than fresh beans.
Place green beans into a steamer and cover.  Place steamer over a pan with about 1 inch of water.  Place on stove and bring to a boil.   Cook until beans are tender.  Remove from heat, place beans into a bowl, add a little bit of butter and some sea salt.  Serve


No comments:

Post a Comment