Friday, February 3, 2012

Halibut with Asparagus Sauce

Today my husband and I were talking on the phone and he asked what I wanted for dinner tonight, I told him I had no idea.  He suggested fish (we had several varieties in the freezer) and so he decided on Halibut.  Since I was out running errands today I would pick up some things to go along with the fish.  Thinking about what I was going to do came to me as I was driving down the road (sometimes I think my best thoughts are at this time) and so all I need to do was stop at the grocery store.  I am truly winging this and have never made this before.

Here is what I did:
Asparagus Sauce
Snap and wash fresh asparagus (you will need about 10 stalks for the sauce)
Juice from 1 lemon
Place asparagus in a pan of boiling salted water and cook for about 5 minutes (it will depend on the thickness of the asparagus).  Remove asparagus from pan and place directly into a dish of cold water with ice (this will stop the cooking process).  Drain and place asparagus into a blender.  Add about 2 tablespoons (I didn't measure so this is a guess) of kefir (I had this on hand, but a plain yogurt would be good too), add a little bit of lemon juice and some salt and pepper.  Blend until smooth.  Taste and add more salt or lemon juice to get the consistency you want.  

Halibut
Drizzle halibut with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place into a hot skillet that has been coated with olive oil.  Place fish top side down and cook.  My mistake was that the pan was hot enough but I turned the fish too soon so it wasn't as brown as I would have liked and also it came apart slightly.  Cook the fish until it is opaque.  Remove fish from pan.

Place sauce on the bottom of the plate, add halibut on top and top with more sauce if you want.

Along with this I cooked new potatoes in the microwave and topped with some butter, salt and pepper. Cut potatoes into cubes and microwave until tender.  The meal was completed with the rest of the cooked asparagus and some french bread.






No comments:

Post a Comment