Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Homemade Chicken Broth

For many years I have used commercial chicken broth until sometime last year when I started to make my own.  If I had known how easy it was I would have started to make it a long time ago.  The taste of homemade broth is so much better than the commercial brands.

I had some chicken parts in the freezer from where I had cut apart a whole chicken for the breasts, legs, and thighs which left me with the backbone and neck.

I thawed those parts out and put them into a crock pot with:
2 small purple onions, cut into chunks
4 carrots, washed but not peeled and cut into chunks
fresh thyme
a few cloves of garlic, peeled (I only let them stay in the pot for a little while, just wanted to add flavor but not over power it)
Add enough water to cover the parts and vegetables and then add about 1/4 cup of vinegar.

Let the crock pot cook on high for about 2 days.  You want the meat to fall off of the bones and for the vegetables to be soft.

Once the broth is done, strain the parts and broth through a fine mesh colander squeezing out any and all broth.  Pour the broth into canning jars and let sit in refrigerator for a day for the fat to settle to the top.  Once the fat settles to the top, scoop fat off the top and then place jars in freezer.

I got about 5 quart jars and 1 pint jar of broth.


This post is linked at Monday Mania on The Healthy Home Economist, Sunday Night Soup on Easy Natural Food.

8 comments:

  1. Cool!!! Good to know! I'll be trying this now since you made it so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty, Just let me know if you have any questions when trying to make it. I have done it this way several times and it works wonderfully. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade is the only way to go! I'm going to be hosting a blog carnival specifically for soups, stocks and chowders, starting this Sunday. I would love it if you would come over and post this recipe. Here's a link with more info.

    http://easynaturalfood.com/2011/10/17/introducing-sunday-night-soup-night/

    I hope to see you there!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, Sounds great! I will certainly do that. Love soups this time of year. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, thanks for sharing this with Sunday Night Soup Night. I was hoping someone would share a post on how to make stock, because there are still so many people out there who haven't tried it, and its so easy to do! I'll be hosting weekly through fall and winter, so I'd love to see you again with your next soup/stock/chowder recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you throw out all the meat and vegetable? If you did that I might change that up and add it to my pets meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wingate: I do not give the leftovers to my dogs because of the tiny bones and because I use onions in my broth. Onions are on the list of several vegetables that dogs shouldn't eat. I think if you didn't use onions and picked the tiny bones out you would be good to go. Here is a list of foods that dogs should not eat. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid=1030
      Thank you for commenting.
      Sue

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete