Monday, June 10, 2013

Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake

I have been wanting strawberry shortcake but of course I need to have it gluten free but I also don't want to have it with a ton of sugar.  I considered a lot of options and even looked at some of the mixes out there.  The problem that I have with most of the pre-made mixes on the market is that they contain things like artificial flavor (whatever that is) and other things like corn starch, xanthan gum etc.

For this dessert I did use a mix but the ingredients in this is something that I could have made at home, but instead opted for convenience in this case.

I used Namaste Foods Waffle and Pancake Mix.  The mix contains brown rice flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, rice milk powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and ground vanilla bean.  All you have to do is add egg, oil and water.

Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
Cut 2 containers of strawberries into small pieces.  Place strawberries into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.  The longer they sit the more juicy they become.

Prepare pancakes according to package directions.  I made the pancakes small, more like the size of a small biscuit.

Place 1 pancake into a bowl, top with some strawberries, layer with another pancake and more strawberries.


I tried to make a coconut milk whipped cream.  I used a brand of coconut milk that I had never used before.  What you want to do is place a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator to let the milk and separate.  Pull off the thick part of the coconut milk (it will be thick leaving the water part behind), whip it into a cream.  This particular brand of milk didn't separate and so I thought I would try it anyway.  It just didn't work.  Oh well, I will try it again another time with a different type of milk.



No comments:

Post a Comment