Thursday, June 6, 2013

Baked Salmon with Blueberry Sauce

I must start off this post with a warning.  If you make this and eat it your teeth and mouth will turn blue from the blueberries.

Made this for a quick dinner tonight before a meeting that I had to attend.  I never thought about the blueberries staining my teeth, it took me 3 times brushing my teeth before it was good enough to go out (still not great but better).  Of course after 3 times brushing I could without a doubt say that I had minty fresh breath.  :-)

The sauce is fantastic.

If I had planned my meal a little better I would have served this with quinoa.  Instead I just served it with a small side salad.

Blueberry Sauce
This recipe came from Epicurious.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, diced
1 garlic clove, sliced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon allspice
6 ounces fresh blueberries, washed and picked over
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Fresh ground black pepper
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add shallots, saute for 5 minutes until soft.  Add garlic, salt, thyme, and allspice.  Stir until fragrant.  Add blueberries, water and vinegar.  Stir to blend.  Mash berries with a potato masher and cook until sauce thickens, stirring often.  Stir in chopped mint and season with fresh ground black pepper.

Baked Salmon
I did something different with the salmon this time.  I used a recipe/theory that the America's Test Kitchen used.
2 salmon fillets
olive oil
salt and pepper
Adjust oven rack to lower position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.  Make 4 to 5 shallow slashes about 1 inch apart along the skin side of each piece, careful not to cut into the flesh.  Pat salmon dry with paper towels.  Rub fillets evenly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Reduce temperature to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and remove baking sheet.  Carefully place salmon skin side down on baking sheet.  Cook for about 9 to 13 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment