Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Halibut with Thai Basil Asparagus Sauce

Decided to do some halibut for dinner tonight.  We bought the halibut frozen from SeaBear.  The seafood we get from them is fantastic.  We have been out of town and decided to stop at the grocery store and a farmers stand on the side of the road on the way home.  From the grocery store I bought some asparagus and figured that it would be a great side dish.  I have some Thai Basil growing in a pot outside.  Thai Basil has a lemon, anise flavor.  It isn't too strong but just a little bite that gives a nice flavor.  My brain starts working and I come up with some concoction in my head and plan it out as I am in the kitchen.  Here is everything I cooked tonight for dinner.

Halibut with Thai Basil Asparagus Sauce
I cooked the halibut in a skillet.   Drizzle the halibut with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place in a heated skillet over medium heat, drizzled with olive oil.  Begin by cooking halibut face down for about 6 minutes, turn and cook for 6 minutes more.  The length of time depends on the thickness of the halibut and the heat of your skillet.  Cook until done.

For the Thai Basil Asparagus sauce:  The side dish with this meal is asparagus.  I snapped the asparagus stalks (to remove the tough ends).  The tops I cooked in a pan of boiling water for about 5 minutes.  Take the bottoms of the asparagus, cut off the bottom (the part that is really woody) and discard.  Take the remaining part of the asparagus and cut into pieces.  Place the pieces into a blender (I use a vitamix blender), add several leaves of Thai basil.  Blend together until chopped up, add some olive oil, salt and pepper.  Add just enough olive oil to make a sauce but don't over do it.   Add more salt and pepper to taste.  Serve the sauce over cooked halibut.

Also had a side dish of cooked red potatoes.  Wash red potatoes, cut into cubes.  Place cubes into a pan with water.  Place pan on stove over high heat.  Bring to boil and cook potatoes for about 10 minutes.  Cook until a a fork can be stuck into the potato cube.  You want to cook it until soft but not mushy.  Drain potatoes, add to bowl with butter and a little bit of dried parsley. (my parsley plants haven't come up enough to have fresh).


No comments:

Post a Comment