Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sunday Dinner on a Wednesday

I took one of our small smoked hams out of the freezer and thawed it for dinner tonight.  I decided early on that I wanted to do something different with the ham instead of just roasting it.  So I found a recipe in The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook for Glazed Ham in Maple-Raisin Sauce.  I used the recipe but put my own spin on it.  I decided to soak the raisins this morning in light rum. This plumped the raisins and made them juicy.  The recipe for the glaze is on page 162 of the cookbook.  I can't really give the recipe out because I don't have permission from the author.  So please make sure you follow the link above to get her book.

Some things that I will change for the next time I make this is, use regular raisins not golden (this is the only kind I had on hand), use bourbon instead of rum (rum added a nice flavor but I think I want something a little more intense), also the recipe calls for the temperature to increase at a certain point of cooking.  This is fine if your ham is really juicy, my ham had minimal juices which made the maple syrup somewhat browned which changed the flavor of the sauce.  Other than that, this recipe is fantastic.

Along with the ham I added new potatoes that were cooked and smashed, chopped spinach, and a garden fresh tomato.



No comments:

Post a Comment