Monday, August 8, 2011

Red Beans and Rice

Decided to do my own take on red beans and rice.

Dice 1 small sweet onion
Mince 2 cloves of garlic
Dice small amount of green pepper
Cook in pan with a little olive oil until onion is tender over medium heat.  Add 1 cup of rice and cook for about a minute.  Add 1-1/2 cups of some kind of broth or water.  I used my own homemade chicken broth.  Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed the water/broth.

I didn't have this meal planned tonight so I added 2 cans of organic red beans that I rinsed, otherwise I would have soaked the beans.  Add the beans to the rice mixture, cover and let remain on the stove at a low temperature, just enough time to allow the beans to cook.

I also added about 1 teaspoon of cumin.

I cooked Andouille Sausage on the grill then cut up the sausage and then added it to the rice mixture.



No comments:

Post a Comment