Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pulled Pork Waffle Sliders (Gluten Free/Paleo)

There are a lot of blogs that I enjoy following and every once in a while a recipe will really stand out and I just have to make it.  This recipe was no exception.  The recipe come from PaleOMG.  

Of course I had to adjust it slightly for my food allergies but I will give you the recipe as is.  It was an absolutely delicious meal and to think it was gluten free/paleo.  It was super easy and the great part is that we now have leftovers for lunch!   Now if you are one to watch how much fat you eat, we are not, then you might want to skip over this recipe (you use bacon and bacon fat in the waffles).  

Pulled Pork Waffle Sliders

for the pulled pork
2 pounds pork butt (I didn't have small enough one that would fit into the crock pot so I used a fresh ham)
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper, to taste

for the mayo
2/3 cup avocado oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon juice (I used vinegar due to my allergies)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard (made the mustard myself)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon maple syrup

for the waffles
2 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
3 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons bacon fat
3 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped (I used dried)

for the toppings
5-6 pieces of bacon, cooked
sliced pickles (I used our homemade pickles which added a really nice flavor)

Place pork in crockpot.  Add sliced onions around it and top with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours until it falls apart.  Once pork is done cooking, shred it in the crockpot.  To shred pork just use two forks and pull the meat apart, you can also pull any fat out that you don't want to eat.

I made the mayo a little different than the recipe.  Pour egg, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder and salt and pepper into a blender.  Once it is blended, with the motor running, slowly add the oil, a little at first and then a constant stream of oil.  Once blended add in the maple syrup and blend.  Place in a container and refrigerate. 

For the waffles, mix together almond flour, baking soda, garlic powder, and a bit of salt and pepper.  Add eggs, coconut milk, bacon far, chopped bacon and chives; mix well.   Add about 2 tablespoons of the mixture to the center of a hot waffle iron. You want small buns so the batter won't take up the whole space.   Cook until crispy.  To keep my waffles warm and crispy, I placed them on a cooking rack in the oven that was about 170 degrees Fahrenheit.  

Once waffles are done, begin layering: waffle bun, mayo, pork, pickles, bacon, mayo, bun.  ENJOY!

Pulled Pork in the Crock Pot

Waffle Slider

Serve with a salad

No comments:

Post a Comment