Sunday, October 21, 2012

Beef and Bean Chili

I know you have got to be thinking, Has Sue been cooking in her kitchen at all?  The answer is no.  I have been out of town and Fall is a really busy time where I live.  There are several different outdoor activities to do.  I am ready to get back into my kitchen and start cooking once again, so please stay with me as I try to come up with new recipes.

I would love to hear from you, what is your favorite fall/winter food?  Is it an old family recipe? or something you have created on your own?  Please share with me, I would love to know.

The weather has cooled and a big pot of chili is so fitting.

Beef and Bean Chili
1 pound grass fed ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped (I had this on hand, but a green one will do)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drainer and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
A couple of fresh tomatoes, chopped (these came from our garden)
1 can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin (I always grind my own, so much fresher)
Dash of paprika
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of parsley
Salt
Pepper
Cheddar cheese, grated
Sour cream
In a large pot, add onion and cook until soft.  Add bell pepper and garlic, cook until garlic is super fragrant.  Add spices, cook mixing in with onion and pepper.  Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans, stir.  Add a little bit of salt and pepper.  Let cook, stirring occasionally.  Taste and adjust seasoning.  (The seasonings above are approximate, I don't really measure - adjust for your taste, if you like it hot and spicy add more chili powder and maybe a little cayenne pepper).  Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.  Serve with cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment