Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Shrimp Scampi (Dairy Free, Paleo)

I love shrimp but Mike my husband is severely allergic, so I don't have shrimp in the house when he is here.  So since he is away for his annual fishing trip I am taking advantage of making shrimp.   I wanted to make it paleo and a healthy version.

Shrimp Scampi
1/2 pound shrimp
1 whole head of garlic, crushed  (I love garlic!)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 cup white wine (I used a pinot grigio)
1 spaghetti squash
1/2 tomato, seeded and chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place on a cookie sheet and drizzle with a little but of olive oil and place in oven and cook for about 45 minutes until tender.  Remove from oven and flake with a fork to make it look like spaghetti.

Peel the shrimp and remove the vein that runs along the back part of the shrimp.  I use a knife and make a slit along the top and pull/wash it away.  It is like you are butterflying the shrimp.

In a skillet over medium high heat add coconut oil.  Once heated, add garlic and stir.  Add shrimp and toss around in the garlic.  Add wine, red pepper flakes and parsley.  Let cook until shrimp is cooked (shrimp will turn from an opaque color to white) and liquid has been cooked down.  Add some spaghetti squash to the pan and toss.   Add tomato and toss.  Serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment