Sunday, January 27, 2013

Traditional Pot Roast

I have been wanting to make this recipe for a while, but you have to plan it out a little.  I finally remembered ahead of time so that I could make this.  I have had this pot roast when someone else has made it and it is delicious.

The recipe comes from the cookbook Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

Traditional Pot Roast
3 pounds rump roast or chuck roast
1 quart buttermilk (I had not made my own so I had to use store bought)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
several springs thyme, tied together (I didn't have fresh so I tied some dry inside of a cheesecloth)
1/2 teaspoons green peppercorns, crushed
1 dozen small red potatoes
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
2 tablespoons arrowroot - mixed with 2 tablespoons water
sea salt and pepper

Using a needle or skewer, stick the meat all over. Place in a bowl or glass loaf pan just large enough to contain the meat and pour buttermilk over it.  Allow to marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for several days.
Remove from buttermilk and dry off with paper towels.  In a heavy, flameproof casserole, brown on all sides, in butter and olive oil.  Remove meat from casserole, and pour off browning fat.  Add wine, stock, thyme, and peppercorns, bring to a boil and skim.  Return pot roast to casserole and bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, covered, for several hours or until tender.  One hour before serving add potatoes and carrots.
Remove meat and vegetables to a platter and bring sauce to a boil on the stove.  Spoonful by spoonful, add arrowroot mixture until desired thickness is obtained. Season to taste.
**Note:  I had my roast in the oven for about 4 hours.  It came out super tender!





No comments:

Post a Comment