Saturday, September 17, 2011

Taco Salad

I like to make my own taco seasoning instead of buying pre-made seasoning.  Here is what I do:

2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons ground pepper

There is enough seasoning for 2 different meals.  Use about 2 tablespoons per 1 pound of ground beef.  Brown ground beef and then add seasoning and about 1/2 cup of water.  Cook until seasoning is absorbed.    I love making this because you can tweak it to your tastes.

I used organic corn tortillas to use in the bottom of the salad.  I pre heated the oven to about 375 degrees Fahrenheit and then put the tortillas on a cookie sheet and cooked them until they were crisp.  Once crisp let them cook and then break them into the bottom of a bowl.

I added lettuce, beef, grated cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

I could have added black beans, refried beans, corn or any other ingredients in this salad.  I guess you can say I was lazy and wanted to keep it simple.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue, I love your taco seasoning recipe (I have used it twice now!) I'm about to post my tacos on rice dish (which I've just realized is really similar to your taco salad...), and I'll link back to you for the seasoning.

    ReplyDelete