Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Halibut Cheeks in Lemon Caper Butter Sauce

We bought Halibut cheeks when I ordered some other fish from www.seabear.com.  I have had halibut cheeks out in a restaurant before but it has been a long time ago.  I have never cooked them at home before, this was a first.  Thankfully I do not intimidate easily when it comes to cooking in the kitchen, I guess you could say I am fearless (okay maybe not that far) but I am not afraid to make something new.  I just go by the seat of my pants, hang on, and go for it, which is what I did tonight.

This recipe I found actually came from another blog called Chronicles of a Fledgling Home Cook.  I knew I wanted to do the Halibut in a butter wine sauce, so that is what I searched and found this recipe.

For those of you who are out there who think there is no way that I have time to make something like this for dinner during the week (you just got home from work, kids are screaming...you get the idea), you are mistaken.  I actually made this tonight in under (way under) 30 minutes.  Now mind you I did have the help of my husband, but even if he didn't help I would have still pulled this dinner off in under 30 minutes.  So don't be afraid...GO FOR IT!

Halibut Cheeks with Lemon, Caper and Butter Sauce
This is the recipe as it comes straight from the blog, see my notes for changes.
1/2 cup flour
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound halibut cheeks
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tablespoons butter
4 slices pancetta, dices (I used bacon, didn't have pacetta and felt that bacon would be just as flavorful)
1/2 cup white wine (I used chardonnay, from Virginia of course)
1/2 lemon, juiced (I actually used a whole lemon, didn't affect the flavor or consistency)
2 teaspoons capers
2 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped but whole for garnish
Put the flour on a deep plate and season well with salt and pepper.  Dredge the fish in flour.  Put a large skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and butter and get the skillet hot.  Add the cheeks and cook until browned on one side, 1 to 2 minutes.  Flip the fish and continue to cook until desired doneness, about 2 minutes more.  Remove the cheeks and set aside, keeping warm.  Add the pancetta and cook, stirring to brown.  Remove and drain pancetter on paper towels.  Put the skillet back over medium heat.  Add another tablespoon of olive oil, the white wine, lemon juice, capers, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the parsley and bring to a boil; boil until reduced and thickened.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place a serving dish of the cheeks on a plate, pour the sauce over the fish with the pancettea, and serve immediately.

This meal was served with green beans (frozen, wrong time of year for fresh) and a salad (consisting of romaine lettuce, green and red bell peppers, fresh mozzarella cheese, oil and vinegar).






No comments:

Post a Comment