Friday, December 14, 2012

Turkey Carcass Soup

I am sure that by now you have given up on me posting new recipes to my blog.  I am back after being away for a while and then getting a cold.

At Thanksgiving I knew I wanted to do something with the carcass but knew that I would not have time after Thanksgiving due to traveling, so we froze the carcass so that it could be used later.

My first challenge in trying to make soup with the carcass was to find a pan large enough.  The turkey was 17 pounds which makes the bones on the larger scale.  I ended up using a lobster pot, which was wide enough.

Add carcass to a pan and add enough water to cover.  Place on stove, cover and cook for a while.  A lot will depend on the heat that the carcass is being cooked.  Any leftover meat will fall from the bones. You will want to remove the bones from the broth.  Pick any meat off that didn't come off and add back to the pan.  The fat pieces and undesirable pieces (things you don't want in your soup) will float to the top, just skim them off with a small sieve or strainer.

Add to the broth the following:
4 carrots, peeled and diced
2 small onions, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used Japanese sweet potatoes)
Salt and Pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon parsley
2 cups of rice
1 bag baby spinach
Add the vegetables and cook until tender, add spices.  Add enough spices to your taste.  Add rice and cook until soft over medium heat.   Once ready to serve add spinach and cook until wilted (this will not take very long).  Serve.

You can really add any vegetables that you want to this soup and you can use noodles instead of rice.




No comments:

Post a Comment