Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Coconut Crusted Black Cod

I wanted fish tonight for dinner and my husband pulled from the freezer black cod.  I didn't want to just bake it, I wanted to do something different.  You know how it is you get into a food funk where you eat the same things, in pretty much the same ways, time after time.  Summer is the time where this usually happens to me.  The heat outside diminishes my appetite which doesn't help matters.

I dug around on the internet for a while and found a paleo recipe.  We don't eat any wheat in this house anymore (I am allergic) and really wanted an alternative to a fish crusted with something and cooked.  I found this recipe from a blog called Melik's Paleo Sweets.  I figured minus the black pepper (I am allergic) I could easily do this recipe.

Coconut Crusted Black Cod
2 black cod filets (I cut them in half)  (as always this black cod came from SeaBear)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons avocado oil (you can also use coconut oil)
In one bowl add the coconut flour and half of the spices.  In another bowl add the egg; whip and in another bowl add the shredded coconut and the rest of the spices.  Mix the ingredients with the spices really well so that the spices incorporate really well.   Place the fish into the coconut flour mixture and coat on all sides, dip into the egg mixture and then into the coconut.   Add the oil to a heavy bottomed skillet (I find these cook foods that are fried easier).  Heat over medium high heat.  To test to see if the oil is ready take a piece of the egg mixture that fell off your fish (yes you will have some in the bowl) and add to the skillet, it should sizzle and begin to cook.  If it doesn't start to sizzle your pan isn't hot yet.  Add fish skin side up and cook for about 5 minutes or so.  Keep an eye on it, you don't want it to burn, flip and continue to cook.  Gently pick up each fish and lightly brown each side.  I had one piece that was really thick and was afraid that it wasn't going to cook all the way through so I placed a lid on the pan, leaving enough for any heat to escape (didn't want to steam it).

The meal was served with cooked yellow squash (truly not my favorite) and a salad (all the ingredients in the salad were from our garden).





No comments:

Post a Comment