Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Homemade Breakfast Sausage

We really wanted to try our hand at making our own sausage.  I have a Kitchen Aid mixture that I got a grinder attachment for (have been wanting one for years) and so we decided to make sausage.
I don't have the part where you can make them into links (that will be next) so I decided to make patties.   I am dealing with several food intolerance's and allergies and one of the things that I am avoiding is black pepper.  So making my own sausage is a great alternative.

We even did a taste test to see what they tasted like once cooked.

Check out my notes at the bottom of the recipe.

Homemade Breakfast Sausage
2 pounds of pork (we used some pork stew beef that was cut into small chunks)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons sage
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1-1/2 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
Place pork in the freezer for about 30 minutes this will harden it slightly and allow for easier grinding.  I ground my pork just once on a fine grinder setting.  Once the pork is ground add all ingredients and mix thoroughly, using your hands to incorporate all the ingredients.  Shape the pork mixture into patties. I used a Pampered Chef large scoop which about equaled 1.4 ounces.  I didn't want the patties to be super big but a nice size.  I figure it is easy enough to eat more than one if you were hungry.

I chose to freeze the patties.  I placed the patties onto wax paper and covered with another piece of wax paper and then put them inside of a seal a meal bag.  The patties can be kept separate that way and it is easy to get just one if you want.

Cook the patties until browned on both sides and cooked all the way through.

Note:  Since I used a pork that was considered stew it didn't have a ton of fat.  After the taste test we both agreed that it would be better with a small amount of fat added to it.  The next time we make it we will use a little fatback.  Also if you don't like it spicy you might want to reduce the amount of crushed red pepper.

Sausage Patties Ready for Freezing

In the package ready for freezing

1 for a taste test

No comments:

Post a Comment